Bateau Bay Dolphins is a grading club.
2021 Grading Dates:
- 10s/2011 – Fri 29th Jan 2021 at 4:45pm
- 11s/2010 – Fri 29th Jan 2021 at 4:00pm
- 12s/2009 – Tues 2nd Feb 2021 at 4:30pm
- 13s and over – Sun 31st Jan 2021 at 9:00am – this is for players wanting to trial for Junior 1, Cadet 1 and/or division 3 or higher
Each year, the club uses independent graders to volunteer their time to attend grading sessions. These graders have no association with any player in the ages that they are grading. Therefore, attendance is necessary for a player to be seen and placed into divisions with other players of similar skill level.
All players in 10’s, 11’s and 12’s are graded within their own age group. All players in these ages MUST attend grading.
Players aged 13 and over are placed into teams of similar skill level – these players are generally with players of a similar age also where possible.
Selection criteria can vary from grader to grader, however, key areas are:
- Ball handling
- Game and positional awareness
- Team work
There are a couple of reasons that some players may spend more time on the court at grading than others or may be in a position that they do not normally play:
- Positions – every year there are generally more of some types of players than others. For example: If there are only two players that have listed GK in their positions but there are twenty players that have listed C. For the games to proceed, players that have listed GK will have to play more than the rest for all players to be able to grade in their preferred positions.
- For the same reason as above, if all players are only put into the positions that they have listed as their preferred positions, grading would have to go for many hours. Therefore, at times, players are asked to play in a position that they would not normally play.
- Skill levels are sometimes very clear for our selectors, at times, they may request to see more of certain players to be able to determine which team they are best suited to.